A Public Space Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) system was introduced to Great Yarmouth in May 2001 with an initial 27 cameras. This system, known as ‘Great Yarmouth CCTV’, now comprises 82 cameras installed at strategic locations around Great Yarmouth. All of the cameras are fully operational with pan, tilt and zoom facilities and are monitored by an experienced team of operators from a dedicated control room 24 hours, 365 days of the year.
The Great Yarmouth CCTV System has evolved in the formation of a partnership known as Community Safety (Great Yarmouth) Ltd core funded by Great Yarmouth Borough Council, Great Yarmouth Town Centre Partnership, Market Gates Shopping Centre and Visit Great Yarmouth. Community Safety (Great Yarmouth) Ltd is overseen by a board of voluntary directors representing the core funders, community and Norfolk Police.
The objectives of the Great Yarmouth CCTV System as determined by Community Safety (Great Yarmouth) Ltd which form the lawful basis for the processing of data are:-
- To help reduce the fear of crime
- The help deter crime
- To help detect crime and provide evidential material for court proceedings
- To assist in the overall management of Great Yarmouth – In the CCTV monitored areas
- To enhance community safety, assist in developing the economic well-being of the Great Yarmouth CCTV area and encourage greater use of the areas monitored
- To assist the Local Authority in its enforcement and regulatory functions within Great Yarmouth CCTV area
- To assist in Traffic Management
- To assist in supporting civil proceedings which will help detect crime
To assist with the above objectives the facilities of Great Yarmouth CCTV includes the following:-
- Direct picture, radio and telephone links with the Norfolk Police Operational Control Centre, Wymondham
- Remote viewing of CCTV data from Great Yarmouth Police Station and the Great Yarmouth Police Investigation Centre
- Dedicated radio links with town centre businesses, retail security, retail park stores, late night licensee’s door staff and seafront attractions and amusement arcades
Any enquires regarding the use of CCTV and subject access requests should be made in the first instance to the CCTV Operations Manager on 01493 745828 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org